Though not the most sought-after weapon, axes boast of high stamina damage and can roll catch with almost the same effectiveness as Straight Swords. With two-handed vertical strikes combined with a one-handed horizontal attack, they can pose more damage than any weapon found in Dark Souls 3.
Are you looking for axes for your weapons collection? Let’s look at the best axe options in Dark Souls 3.
1. Thrall Axe
The Thrall Axe is a small hand axe mostly used by Lothric slaves. With its quick and deadly accuracy, this is the weapon for any cunning lot. Its top skill is the Quickstep, which allows you to instantly step around or behind your enemies. This Quickstep skill will still function even if your character’s bar is empty, though a portion of the invincibility frames will be lost.
- Durability: 55
- Attack Type: Standard
- Weight: 1.5
- FP Cost: 5(-/-)
Benefits of the Thrall Axe
- Strength D
- Physical Attack Power: 104
- Dexterity D
- Critical: 100
- Guard Absorption: Physical Absorption (40), Stability (30), Magic Defense (30), Fire Defense (25), Dark Defense (30), Lightning Defense (25)
Thrall Axe Location
Drops from Hollow Slaves (Thralls) in Undead Settlement, Cathedral of the Deep, and Grand Archives.
Related: Best Katana in Dark Souls 3
2. Battle Axe
The Battle Axe is an easily-wielded axe with inflicting standard damage suitable for battle. Its weight can be used to cause great damage, but it tends to leave a wide opening for the enemy to retaliate. Though not the best axe for a starting weapon, the Battle Axe can be buffed, infused, and reinforced with Titanite. It also lets out a spirited warcry that temporarily boosts your attack.
- Strength: 12
- Durability: 80
- Dexterity: 8
- Attack Type: Standard
- FP Cost: 20(-/-)
- Weight: 4
Benefits of the Battle Axe
- Let’s out a still warcry that temporarily increases the damage you cause.
- Impressive 103 starting physical damage.
- Has an additional 103 dark damage.
Battle Axe Location
A Deep Battle Axe can be found on a mimic behind a fire-breathing dragon in the High Wall of Lothric. Below are some of the steps to follow to acquire the axe:
- From the High Wall of Lothric, move left towards the dead dragon. Use the ladder to take you to the lower level.
- Once you leave the new small prison area, move to the top of the stairs on your left.
- Here, you will find an active dragon that kills anything in front of him. You will have to run to the tower below him and open the door.
- At the bottom of this area, you will see a mimic chest that contains the Deep Battle Axe. You’ll have to defeat it in order to get the axe.
3. Butcher Knife
The Butcher’s knife is an oddly large blade that is wielded by the madwoman haunting the Road of Sacrifices. It has relatively low damage compared to other axes but can be sharpened to restore HP to the wielder and has an impressive scaling in Strength.
Moreover, it is associated with the Man Serpent Hatchet for having the greatest range among all axes. It also has disadvantages that include heavyweight, slow attack speed compared to the Black Knight Greataxe, unusually weak against armored enemies, and inability to be infused.
- Weight: 7
- Attack Type: Slash
- FP Cost: 18(-/-)
- Durability: 75
Benefits of the Butcher Knife
- Sharpening the blade greatly increases HP restoration.
- It has a decent range, almost similar to a Black Knight Greataxe.
- It also has the highest scaling of all the axes and only scales with Strength.
- Light and fully charged heavy attacks restore the wilders HP.
- Has unique R2 attacks.
- Any strike will produce a healing effect.
Butcher Knife Location
Dropped by the Unkindled Butcher located in the gulley between the Road of Sacrifices bonfire and the Halfway Fortress bonfire.
4. Winged Knight Twin Axes
The Winged Knight Twin Axes have paired beheading axes wielded by the Winged Knights. These twin axes are more suited to an executioner than a knight. Its top skill is the Chain Spin, which allows you to sweep your enemies in a large spinning motion until their stamina is depleted.
As paired weapons, the Winged Knight Twinaxes benefit greatly from spell buffs such as Darkmoon Blade, Lightning Blade, etc. Furthermore, this weapon comes with the standard axe move set; significant damage, but has poor range.
Benefits of the Winged Knight Twin Axes
- Has the ability to take out ¾ of a phantoms health with just a single L1 combo.
- Is one of the most damaging weapons in the game.
- The Chain Spin allows you to sweep enemies in a large spinning motion until their stamina is depleted.
- On a dedicated strength build, it is the best axe for invasions.
Twin Axes Location
Dropped from the Winged Knight found in the Lothric Castle. To locate him, begin from the Lothric Castle bonfire and head towards the Dragon Barracks bonfire. Enter the small building with a ladder inside, and you will find the Winged Knight.
5. Eleonora Axe
Our last best axe, the Eleonora Axe, is a strange weapon in Dark Souls 3 found among malformed Profaned Capital inhabitants. The Profaned Flame was initially triggered by the curse of these women, relatives of some oracle.
The Eleonora is a unique axe with a skill known as Feast Bell, activated by holding up the axe and wave to release a solemn chime that temporarily restores your HP with each hit.
Benefits of the Eleonora Axe
- At 40/40, it has 421 AR.
- Can be traded with Pickle Pee, Pump-a-Rum for a Hollow Gem.
Eleonora Axe Location
Wielded by the first Monstrosity of Sin, to locate it, progress to the bottom floor of the church next to the swamp in the Profaned Capital. To find the axe:
- Kill the Deacons of the Deep to enter the Irithyll Dungeon. You will then be allowed to enter Irithyll of the Boreal Valley area.
- Proceed to the Profaned Capital, where you will find an Undead Bone Shard that will boost the effects of your Estus Flasks.
- From the Profaned Capital, move down the stairs and exit through the crack in the wall. Turn left, and you will see a small wooden bridge.
- This bridge will lead you to a large cave area with a building inside. Find and open the door to this building on ground level.
- Inside the room behind the door, there are two monsters. You are required to kill one of them to get the axe.
From this list of best axe options, it is clear that axes are not weapons to be ignored in Dark Souls 3. They may not be the stars of any battle, but they offer high damage stats that could improve your gameplay. Even better, they are relatively easy to locate if you know where to look.