The best way to achieve success in Dragon Age Origins is to have the best weapons. You equip your character with the right accessories to fight off enemies. With so many options, it can be challenging to know which the best is.
Our guide below will give you some excellent options, which you can consider.
Tips on Choosing the Best Weapons
Your characters have a wide array of some of the best weapons. It allows them to inflict maximum damage on their enemies. You also get bonus points on your choice of weapons.
The weapons offer armor penetration. Your characters also have the option of more than one weapon at a time. For the latter, ensure you build upon the duel wielding capabilities.
Some of them come with requirements on the stats, as we will show you below. Let’s check out some of the best weapons you have available.
Melee weapons are some of the best weapon choices. Your main target with melee weapons is rogue builds and warriors. You want to give the maximum strength attack of the enemy. Some of the two-handed options available include battle access, Greatswords, and mauls.
One-handed options include daggers, war axes, longswords, and maces. The latter gives you low damage, but with high dexterity. You want to focus on damage as your primary stat. Your weapon should be able to do maximum damage with the hit.
- Best materials to go for include iron, Steel, Dragonborn, and Silverite.
- The attribute modifier determines how much of the stat goes into the damage. You get 85% and 125% range with a dagger and maul, respectively.
- Armor penetration determines the strength of the weapon against armor. A penetration rating of 10 will ignore the same rating on enemy armor.
- The speed modifier focuses on the speed of the swing. Always opt for a lower speed.
- Critical chance is what you get on top of the melee critical chance. Always go for a higher stat.
You get all the benefits of the melee weapons together with an aim time and range stat.
- The Range stat is the distance from your character to an opponent before you get penalties on the attack rolls.
- The aim start is the length of time your character can aim a weapon before firing.
Determining the Best Weapon Choice
The choice of weapon will depend on the situation. Consider the following when picking:-
- Two-handed weapons
Mauls are great for high attribute modifiers and armor penetration. Some examples include:
- Ageless is Silverite and requires strength of 34. You get + 0.25 and 0.5% Stamina and Regeneration capabilities. It also gives + 4% damage in combat with Darkspawn.
- Butterfly sword varies in material and requires strength within the range of 18 to 38. You get armor penetration and attack at +1.5% and +2.5% respectively.
- Faith’s Edge is Silverite and requires strength of 34. You get +2% willpower, and +5% backstab damage.
- One-Handed Weapons
Spears are great for speed and medium-to-high critical chance. Some options to consider include:-
- Aodh, which is made of Silverite and requires strength of 27. You get +3% critical chance, +20% fire resistance and +1% fire damage
- Fang varies in the material and requires dexterity stats 18. You get +3% and +5% cunning and melee critical chance. +6% attack and backstab damage, and +1% nature damage.
- The Keening Blade comprises of Dragonborn material and requires 31% stats on strength. It gives + 2% +6% and +3% armor penetration, attack and cold damage respectively.
- Maric’s Blade varies in the material and has no stats requirements. You get +3% on damage and dexterity, as well as + 2.5% armor penetration.
Longbows give 50/50 dexterity and strength. Crossbows equip you with 100-percent dexterity.
- Sylvan Wood requires 26 strength. You get +3% and +6% dexterity and damage versus Darkspawn.
- Imperium Crossbow requires 30 strength. you get +2% damage
- Far Song requires 34 dexterity. the benefits are + 2% damage, + 3% critical chance, + 10% attack and backstab damage
- Mages Eyes requires 34 dexterity. the benefits are + 3% critical chance, + 4% attack and backstab damage
Armors give your character protection, and the rating will determine the amount of damage every time a blow lands. Aim for higher ratings so that you suffer less damage.
Fatigue rating will increase or decrease depending on the skill levels. Opt for lower modifiers so that your character can use their skills a bit more. Higher ratings mean higher fatigue modifiers.
You must strike a delicate balancing act with your best weapons choices. For characters that you depend on for maximum damage, go for the lowest fatigue modifiers. Give heavy armor to characters that absorb maximum damage.
- Battledress of the Provocateur requires 20 strength. You get +4% and + 5% dexterity and armor. +10% dodge attack, +1 percent regeneration and + 50% stamina
- Bard’s Dancing Shoes requires no stats it gives + 6% defense and hostility reduction
- Cadash Stompers requires strength 22. You get +2% dexterity, armor and critical chance on melee and ranged
- Evon the Greats Mail requires strength 38. You get +2% regeneration, + 6% armor, + 10% dodge capabilities and defense.
- Helm of Honnleath requires 20 strength. It gives you +2 percent in all that you do and +3% armor.
- Corruption requires strength 42. you get +5% and +1% dexterity and armor and +75% on spirit resistance
- Effort Armor set gives you 2% constitution, +15% healing effects, +1% strength, +1% armor
- Juggernaut Armor set gives you 20% resistance for fire, cold, electricity, nature, and spirit each. You also get +1% and +10% armor and metal resistance and +3% strength and constitution.
Other Accessories to Consider
You get tons of benefits from accessories such as a Ring of Ages, life-giver, Andruil’s Blessing, and the Spellward.
Pros and Cons
- Dual wield weapons give high DPS, damage, and accuracy. They are, however, slow, can drain stamina, and the character has no shield.
- Daggers and swords allow for dexterity and speed but offer low damage.
- Heavy armors offer excellent protection but carry a fatigue penalty. They also draw more threats.
We have explored some of the best weapon choices in Dragon Age Origins. Pay attention to the crafting material for maximum strength and the highest DPS. Incorporate factors such as grips and runes to add to the power of the weapons.